COVID-19 UPDATE: Please check with individual organizations and venues for specific requirements regarding health precautions.
Salary: $16-$18 an hour
Job Description Summary:
The Exhibits Fabricator is responsible for the build, repair, and maintenance of various exhibit components, including custom structures, cabinetry, casework, mounts, and interactive exhibit components.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Track status and quality of existing exhibits; generating monthly reports of changes.
• Maintain and repair exhibits in response to reports of broken or malfunctioning elements as provided in user reviews, client feedback, on-floor staff, and by the creative team.
• Manage the purchasing of needed exhibit repair components and provide budget estimates for proposed exhibits.
• Responsible for overseeing maintenance of all exhibit components, including AV and interactive components, and must possess strong troubleshooting skills.
• Assist with general facilities tasks as needed.
• Collaborate closely with designers and exhibit developers to plan exhibits and translate exhibit ideas and designed concept into build-able projects.
• Provide fabrication, assembly and finish carpentry support for exhibits, displays, scenic facades and graphic signs, taking the lead on ensuring the quality and durability needed to provide a positive visitor experience
• Manage preparation of exhibit spaces for installation of exhibits.
• Operate standard shop tools such as table saw, router, table saw, sanders and band saw and various hand power tools required in the fabrication and assembly of final products.
• Oversee shop safety and organization.
Knowledge, Skill and Abilities:
• Must be able to read and interpret engineering, production and shop drawings and define parts from those drawings to be able to machine the parts as required.
• Must have a thorough knowledge and a high level of skill with hand tools, power tools, various saws, routers, and drills.
• Must have the mechanical ability to integrate various electro-mechanical devices and apparatus into exhibit casework. The ability to troubleshoot basic mechanical and electrical systems is preferred.
• Must have the ability to carefully handle delicate assets and design custom mounts that protect the assets while on display.
• A good eye for detail required.
• Ability to lift 50+ lbs. and move heavy objects and work from lifts and ladders.
• Must possess strong communication skills and be able to work collaboratively in a fast paced environment.
Training and Experience Requirements:
• Must possess a minimum of 3+ years of work experience and training in a fabrication position, preferably in a museum or creative setting.
• Previous experience as an Exhibit Builder, Journeyman or Apprentice Cabinet Maker, and/or Installer is highly desirable and preferred.
• Must possess cabinet making and fine carpentry skills of cutting, joining and preparing wood, plywood, and various plastics, as well as a variety of common and uncommon materials.
• Experience with bending plywood, laminates, veneers, solid plastics, adhesives, and many fasteners preferred.
• Experience with painting and finishing required.
Location: 209 E 500 S Salt Lake City, UT 84111
Status: Full Time