COVID-19 UPDATE: Please check with individual organizations and venues for specific requirements regarding mask mandates.
Calling all Utah musicians: HUM is accepting submissions from February 1-22! To have your music considered for inclusion into the HUM collection, visit hum.slcpl.org/submit.
Salt Lake City Public Library’s HUM (Hear Utah Music) is a digital space celebrating Utah’s local music community. Free streaming access is available to everyone, with downloads available to Salt Lake City Public Library cardholders. The HUM music collection is curated by a jury of local music advocates, who work to select a diverse collection representing our music community. We open up submissions twice a year to music made in Utah within the last 5 years. We pay musicians a one-time honorarium of $200 for albums ($100 for EPs) that are chosen to be included in the collection.
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: February 22
The submission period opens three weeks prior to the deadline. Please submit your music using this online submission form. A jury with members from the local music community and library staff will review the submissions and consider them for inclusion. The number of submissions accepted and the criteria that is used to judge the music for inclusion is subject to change. We will contact musicians in the event that your music was either accepted or declined.
HOW TO SUBMIT
Submissions are accepted using the online submission form at hum.slcpl.org/submit
Musicians are invited to submit their music for consideration through the HUM Submission Form on The City Library’s HUM website. The form is available three weeks prior to the submission deadline. It is not available any other time.
Submissions should include the following elements
• One example track from the album you’d like to submit. We prefer high-quality masters in FLAC, WAV, or AIFF formats, but we’ll also accept high bitrate Mp3, AAC, and Ogg Vorbis. Information about you and your music, including your connection to the local music community and recent performances.
WHEN A SUBMISSION IS ACCEPTED
Musicians that are selected will sign a license agreement and receive a one-time honorarium of $200 per album or $100 per EP for sharing their music through HUM. The agreement is non-exclusive so you can share or sell your content anywhere else you want.
We are defining an album as a collection of compositions featuring a collective length of over 20 minutes or a minimum of 7 unique tracks (only needs to fulfill one of these requirements). We are defining an EP as a collection of compositions featuring a minimum length of 10 minutes or two unique tracks.
Here’s a non-binding plain language summary to explain the most important details of our license agreement:
• make your content available for permanent download and streaming to site users
• promote your content as a part of the site
• confirm that you have the right to license all the content you are sharing, including cover songs and album art
• continue to own all the rights to the content. The agreement is non-exclusive so you can share or sell your content anywhere else you want
• can ask us to take your content off the site after two years. Just contact the Library, and SLCPL will take it down
• will be given a one-time payment for your contribution
For additional information, contact The City Library at 801-524-8200, or email Jason Rabb: firstname.lastname@example.org.