COVID-19 UPDATE: Please check with individual organizations and venues for specific requirements regarding health precautions.
Salary: $11-$13 an hour
The mission of The Leonardo is the fuse science, technology, and art in experiences that inspire creativity and innovation in people of all ages and backgrounds. The Museum Experience Specialist provides support to the Museum Educators and models exceptional customer service standards at all times. As the interface between exhibits, programs and our visitors, the Museum Experience staff enhance the museum experience by inspiring visitors to engage and connect with The Leonardo and each other in new and meaningful ways, and by helping them to tap into their own undiscovered potential.
Top 3 Expectations:
1. Develop competitive educational programs and manage specific Engineering workshop and maker spaces.
2. Connect with visitors and provide support and facilitate learning through excellent customer service.
3. Evaluate the success of exhibits activities and special projects.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
This position serves a critical function within the museum, and interfaces with several departments. This person assists the Programs Director with daily floor operations, floor supply inventory, customer service support and mentoring, conflict-resolution, accounting, and scheduling.
• Facilitate in-depth topic specific activities.
• Present demonstrations to visitors.
• Deliver the following content:
o Area drop-in activities (update minimum quarterly)
o Demonstration and/or community project (update minimum quarterly)
o Area hands-on activity including potential make and takes (update minimum quarterly)
o Themed birthday party (ages 4-8; ages 9-13; adult party – 1 major activity)
o 3-5 themed outreach activities
o Monthly social media content (blog, visitor and/or volunteer spotlight, etc.)
o Other floor activities as assigned.
• Assist community volunteers and partners as scheduled.
• Staff outreach activities as assigned.
• Serve as Field-trip lead (as trained).
• Support field-trip activities in spaces.
• Create content ideas as assigned.
• Clean space each day and fill supplies as needed.
• Support general museum facilitation as needed. This can include, but not limited to: acting as a floater to be cross trained in specialties.
• Works with Education department to lead certain programs and content.
• Actively seeks out opportunities to engage visitors of all ages in an effort to help improve them in experiences that inspire creativity and innovation.
• Develop a comprehensive understanding of the Leonardo’s rotating exhibit spaces, and facilitate the Museum’s exhibit spaces in a friendly and professional manner with all visitors.
• Delivery of Orientations for all Field Trip attendees, and the ability to interact professionally and appropriately with students of all ages.
• Participation in ‘Leo on Wheels’ trips as needed. This includes driving the truck/ trailer, loading /unloading, troubleshooting and facilitation of Leo on Wheels exhibit pieces to all students.
• Schedule area Museum Educators and volunteers.
• Assist with volunteer and Museum Educators trainings.
• Serves as liaison between draft content from team members and creative director.
• Manage supply budget and inventory ordering for area.
• Support/co-lead up to 2 themed summer camps.
• Work with communications manager on social media content and museum-wide outreach.
• Will work some shifts during which alcohol will be consumed by guests.
• May be asked to manage a team of educators and/or specialists.
• Act as Manager on Duty on the floor as needed by Visitor Services Manager.
• Other tasks as assigned
Knowledge, Skill and Abilities:
• Positive attitude and motivational skills a must
• Ability to train, direct, supervise, evaluate, and motivate staff and volunteers.
• Proven leadership and management skills.
• Background or strong interest in one or more of the following is preferred: Science, Art, Engineering, Biology, Technology, Performing arts, or Education.
• Ability to work in fast-paced environment; adhere to deadlines; demonstrate flexibility in meeting shifting demands and priorities.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff, volunteers, and members of the public; exercise tact and diplomacy at all times; demonstrate an understanding of protocol and sensitivity to cultural diversity issues.
• Ability to work weekends, holidays and some special event hours.
• The ability to stand for several hours.
• Ability to lift up to 20 pounds.
Training and Experience Requirements:
• Associate’s Degree (preferred).
• Two years of related customer service experience or a combination of education, training and experience.
• Background or experience in Engineering a must.
Location: Salt Lake City
Status: Full Time