COVID-19 UPDATE: Please check with individual organizations and venues for specific requirements regarding mask mandates.
The John Wesley Powell River History Museum is seeking applications for a mission focused and visionary leader for the position of Executive Director. An employee of the city of Green River, the Executive Director will take a lead role in the strategic guidance of the organization in an effort to fulfill our mission to “celebrate the significance of river history through the cultures and landscapes of the Colorado Plateau.” This position reports to the Green River city council, and is the chief executive of the museum. The position coordinates with the museum’s board of directors, and is also the supervisor for the museum’s curator, office manager, and visitor center staff.
Established in 1990, the John Wesley Powell River History Museum is a unique institution with a growing collection that preserves the history of river running on the Colorado Plateau, the city of Green River, and the many communities that have made an impact on the history of the region.
This position has opened at an exciting time in the development of the organization, with a great foundation of support from the communities that we serve. Goals for the future of the museum include designing new permanent exhibitions, increasing community support and programming, and serving as a hub for the growing community of Green River. Applicants are encouraged to view our latest strategic plan to become more familiar with the history of the organization and the exciting opportunities for the future.
– Leads the strategic guidance of the organization, including oversight of the organization’s ongoing planning process, annual goals, events and programming calendar, and operational strategy.
– Manages annual budget and plans future spending.
– Works with board of directors and city council to ensure financial stability and professionalism.
– Acts as liaison for city of Green River and the museum’s non-profit organization and board.
– Leads fundraising efforts, including grant writing, development, and organizing fundraising events.
– Coordinates and organizes volunteer committees, including the River Runners Hall of Fame Induction Committee.
– Oversees community events and partnerships, including the River Runners Hall of Fame, Powell After Hours, Major Powell’s birthday celebration, and The Swell River Fest.
– Oversees and plans marketing for the organization, including press releases, email marketing, print media, and online presence.
– Manages and builds partnerships and partner programs with community organizations.
– Project management for temporary and permanent exhibits, programs, and community outreach.
– Oversees inventory of the museum gift shop.
– Leads education programming, including field trips and tours.
– Makes hiring decisions regarding full-time and part-time staff.
– Oversees the day to day operation of the museum.
– Other duties as assigned by city mayor and city council.
Desired Knowledge and Experience:
• A minimum of a bachelor’s degree in a relevant field, with at least three years as a leader in museum or project management.
• Experience supervising staff and working with organization governing bodies.
• Experience in business or public administration
• Graphic design or exhibit design experience is a plus.
• Experience managing a retail environment is a plus.
• Experience and knowledge of managing an organizational budget.
• Knowledge of professional standards in museum best practices.
• Grant writing or fundraising experience is a plus.
• Knowledge of methods and theories for exhibit design.
Desired Skills and Qualifications:
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Excellent organization skills.
• Ability to adjust and thrive in a changing and shifting environment.
• Excellent interpersonal skills, patient personality, and able to work well with others in a team setting.
• Flexible and able to react constructively to unexpected situations.
• Thoughtful, and willing to offer and receive constructive criticism on new and existing systems and programs.
WORKING CONDITIONS Work will generally take place in an office setting. Moderate physical activity, with occasional lifting or physical exertion. Working hours will vary depending on need, including occasional weekend or evening work.
Salary: $40k – $42k, depending on experience
Please send a cover letter, resume, and a list of references with the subject line “Executive Director Search” to firstname.lastname@example.org