SLCC Student, Workstudy-Specialist II or III, Clever Octopus Volunteer
Open Internally or Externally
If faculty, tenure track status
Reports to (title)
Service Leadership Coordinator
One Year Temporary
Work Study – Variable
Initial Work Location
$12.55 – $15.17
Job Open Date
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled
Priority Review Date
Clever Octopus Inc. is a nonprofit organization dedicated to fostering creativity and environmental awareness
through art, science, technology, engineering, and math. The Volunteer Specialist will provide direct leadership
and train volunteers to confidently engage in educational programs and volunteer experiences at the Clever Octopus Creative Reuse Center (Murray) and Warehouse (South Salt Lake). This role will also be responsible for recruiting and training volunteers for programs, camps, outreach events, and more. This is mostly a
capacity-building position, with limited direct service involved.
Clever Octopus is a community partner of Salt Lake Community College’s Thayne Center for Service and Learning. The Thayne Center for Service & Learning provides a supportive and inclusive office for students to explore community involvement, leadership, and volunteerism. By providing opportunities in conjunction with local nonprofits we cultivate an environment to test our student’s interests and area of study while assisting them to realize they have the knowledge and skills to affect positive change in our community. Though the position will be a direct placement at the Clever Octopus, the Thayne Center for Service and Learning will administer the orientation, enrollment and exit from the Community Work Study program and will act as on-campus supervisor.
Essential Responsibilities and Duties
– Recruitment of volunteers including special events and programs at our Creative Reuse Center and Warehouse
– Management of volunteers, including but not limited to, creating volunteer handbook and/or on-boarding packet.
– Welcome and orient volunteers at the beginning of their shift and review COI volunteer policies.
– Work well in a team-oriented environment and maintain harmonious relationships.
Essential Responsibilities and Duties Continued
– Must have a SLCC federal work study award and enrolled in at least 6 credit hours per semester.
– Must work at least four hours a week during the semester.
– Must have basic computer skills.
– Must pass a background check.
– Must check email twice per week during the semester and be a responsive email responder.
– Must be able to leave campus and access the partner site using their preferred transportation method.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
– Proficient in English
– Must be flexible working in a fast-paced, non-profit environment.
– Strong commitment to social change through community empowerment and the arts
– Ability to work independently, be flexible, and manage multiple priorities.
– Proficient computer skills, especially using Microsoft Suite and Google Suite of applications.
– Work in a team environment with minimal supervision.
– Ability to communicate effectively with a broad range of diverse people, ability, culture, ethnic background, to maintain good working relationships across the College. Ability to work with all groups in a diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural and ethnic background of community college students, faculty and staff, including those with disabilities.
Non-Essential Responsibilities and Duties
– Must have federal work study award through SLCC’s Financial Aid Office to Apply for this job.
– Must be enrolled in 6 credit hours per semester.
– Pass a criminal background check.
WHAT IS WORK STUDY:
Work study is awarded to SLCC students through the Federal College Work Study program, which requires establishing financial need through the FAFSA application from the Financial Aid Office. If you do not have work study awarded to you, you will not be eligible for work under work study positions.
Salt Lake Community College (SLCC) is fully committed to policies of equal employment and nondiscrimination. The College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability, religion, protected veteran status, expression of political or personal beliefs outside of the workplace, or any other status protected under applicable federal, state, or local law.
SLCC is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”).
This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
* Do you have a Work-Study award from SLCC’s Financial Aid Office?Yes
I don’t know what work-study is
Required DocumentsResume / Curr. Vitae
Optional DocumentsCover Letter
Letters of Reference