COVID-19 UPDATE: Please check with individual organizations and venues for specific requirements regarding mask mandates.
The Office of the State Auditor (Office) seeks a qualified candidate to work as a Technical Writer. We provide Utah taxpayers and government officials with an independent assessment of financial operation,statutory compliance,and performance management for state and local government,and makes recommendations to improve the effectiveness of programs and efficiency of operations.
Writes/drafts or formats, edits, and proofs the following, ensuring procedural and grammatical accuracy; conformance to general policy, format, and guidelines; conformance to auditing standards; and factual correctness:
Various reports that include auditor findings and financial statements
Policy and procedure manuals and materials used internally by the Office or externally by local governments or CPA firms
Working papers, audit programs, and other forms used by the Office
Office Administrative Rules
Correspondence and documents
Technical reports, articles tables, or related material based on research or analysis
Contracts for auditing services and related documents
Press releases and other media communications
Tables, graphs, and related explanatory materials that may be included in various reports
Templates for reports, emails, and other publications or correspondence
Translates audit terminology into a narrative more easily understood by an audience that may lack a basic accounting background.
Researches, answers, and resolves inquiries from the public, local government entities, and the press.
Updates and maintains Office website content utilizing various software programs.
Designs,prepares,or participates in the development and delivery of training/instructional materials.
Maintains and updates several databases. Analyzes and organizes technical information from the databases.
Other duties as assigned by management.
Experience and qualifications for success:
– Associates or Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Communications, English, Technical Writing, or related discipline or a minimum four (4) years of experience in technical writing is preferred.
– Technical background knowledge in auditing and accounting is highly desirable, as is familiarity with federal and state agency guidelines for audit and reporting.
– Exceptional writing/editing and grammar, punctuation, spelling, and composition skills with ability to create documents from scratch.
– Excellent oral and written communication skills, including the ability to translate technical jargon into plain language.
– Ability to work with the press and to handle difficult and sensitive situations with discretion and grace.
– Attention to detail and willingness to mentor inexperienced authors, providing training as needed.
– Flexibility, excellent interpersonal skills, and commitment to teamwork.
– Command of Microsoft Word and Excel.
– Command of WordPress highly desirable.
– Knowledge of Access Database, PowerPoint, and Adobe Acrobat Pro.
– Highly motivated, self-starter with excellent time management skills who can work independently on multiple tasks with overlapping schedules and deadlines.
Send/email a cover letter,and resume to:
Office of the State Auditor
Attn: Tauna MacPherson
350 N. State Street,Suite E310
Utah State Capitol Complex
Salt Lake City,UT 84114
Salary: $15/hour to $30/hour, depending on experience.
Compensation includes comprehensive health, dental, and retirement benefits.
Start Date: Flexible. Preferably on December 2, 2019
The Office participates in E-Verify. This is a career service exempt position. Incumbents placed in this title are appointed,non-classified,exempt from 67-19-12,and are required to be placed in a position schedule of AC (Employees in Offices of Elected Officials).
The Office is an equal opportunity employer. Hiring is done without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, or disability. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act,the Office provides reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. For accommodation information or if you need an accommodation to complete the application process,contact the Office at 801-538-1025.