COVID-19 UPDATE: Please check with individual organizations and venues for specific requirements regarding health precautions.


There are no recent bookmarks.

Urban Plein Air Call for Artists

Posted by Downtown SLC Presents ; Posted on 
Call for Artists - DEADLINE :  
Urban Plein Air Call for Artists






Artist Allowance: $200 & 70% of any sales of completed works Entry Deadline: 5pm on Friday, August 24th, 2018. Digital Portfolio of applicable completed works in PDF form


The Blocks, in partnership with the City and the County, are activating the downtown streets and underutilized urban spaces during a two-day period—September 13th & 14th—with the spontaneous and participatory nature of Plein Air (outdoor) painting. This project invites audiences to engage
with participating artists and get a view into their process of completing a painting, providing the opportunity to see live art. We will work with a curated team of 25 artists to demonstrate their painting skills to the public at 10 curated locations in the downtown area. This two-day period will culminate with an exhibition of the completed works on September 15th.

The Blocks, the City, the County are seeking portfolios from local artists to participate in the two-day Plein Air event. Selected artists will be responsible for completing up to two 12” x 12” canvas during the two-day event (canvas will be provided for the selected artists.) This call is open to all professional artists, students, amature artists, and/or artist-led teams residing in Utah. Those new

to the public art process or artists working outside of the traditional Plein Air process are also highly encouraged to apply.


Selected artists will be provided with two 12” x 12” Blick Premier Back-Stapled Gallery 1-1/2” Profile Cotton Canvas to complete during the two-day period. There will be 10 total locations chosen in which to paint. These locations will act as general vantage points (think places like Abravanell Plaza, roof
of SLC Public Library, etc.) in which the selected artists will be free to move around in these general vantage points to find their desired composition.

Once this two-day painting period is complete, this project will culminate with an exhibition/reception to showcase the completed paintings and talk about the project. Should the selected artists choose, these completed works can be put up for sale. 70% of any sales will go directly to the artists, with the remaining 30% being split between our local charity partner and the event host space/gallery.

The selection committee will be comprised of The Blocks staff and a team of local artists and Arts community members. This committee will select 25 artists based on the provided portfolio of previous work. Once selected, each artist will be provided with detailed information about the project.


– innovative, playful, and original artwork
– demonstrates skill and understanding of painting process
– previous experience working in Plein Air settings a plus, but not required – submission of portfolio in requested PDF format

Selected artists will be responsible for completing up to two of the provided 12” x 12” canvas during the two-day event spanning Thursday, September 13th and Friday, September 14th. Selected artists will also be expected to exhibit their completed (or as complete as possible) works in a public reception/exhibition scheduled for Saturday, September 15th.


Total commission for each selected artist/designer is $200 and 70% of any sales and is inclusive of artist’s fees and related expenses for completion of the project. The Blocks is responsible for the costs related to the project and community participation—providing canvases, event signage, marketing, reception costs, etc. Payment to the selected artists shall be made upon the completion of the project.

Special thanks to Salt Lake City Corporation, Salt Lake County, and The Blocks for funding this project.

Please send your portfolios in PDF format by 5pm on Friday, August 24th, 2018 to the attention of: Tyler Bloomquist –> / 801.828.0166

Urban Plein Air is a project of The Blocks. The Blocks is a collaborative initiative between Salt Lake City and Salt Lake County working to promote cultural and artistic experiences in Downtown Salt Lake City through placemaking, promotional activities and programs that enliven Salt Lake’s Cultural Core throughout the year.


Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>