COVID-19 UPDATE: Please check with individual organizations and venues for specific requirements regarding mask mandates.
Salary: $42,000 to 50,000
Job Description: Thanksgiving Point Institute is seeking an experienced and self-directed leader for the position of Volunteer Manager. Thanksgiving Point is a 501(c)3 non-profit that draws nearly 2 million visitors annually to visit its world-class venues including Ashton Gardens, Museum of Ancient Life, Farm Country, Museum of Natural Curiosity, and Butterfly Biosphere. Its mission is to draw upon the natural world to cultivate transformative family learning. That means that we at Thanksgiving Point aim to engage people in the process of learning and discovery through hands on exploration of the natural world. The successful candidate will be enthusiastic about this mission and especially the opportunity to work alongside and lead the amazing humans who have chosen to serve as volunteers.
The Volunteer Manager is part of the Thanksgiving Point Joint Management team and ensures that volunteer needs for all venues, events, programs, and departments are met. This person oversees all aspects of the Volunteer Program, leading and working collaboratively with a dedicated and dynamic Volunteer Advisory Board to recruit and retain members of the corps and to ensure that the volunteer experience is rewarding and always improving.
• Responsible for understanding and filling Thanksgiving Point’s service-oriented needs for all venues, events, programs, and administrative duties for which volunteer service is requested.
• Responsible for the oversight and management of all human aspects of the Volunteer Program including recruitment, screening, management, service descriptions, communication of opportunities and information, orientation, training’s, recognition, and retention for all volunteers, regardless of the type of service they provide or the area(s) in which that service is given. Works closely with the Volunteer Advisory Board to understand the changing needs of those who serve and to develop recruitment and retention strategies. Works especially closely with the Horticulture Volunteer Liaison to ensure consistency across programs.
• Responsible for the oversight and management of the business of the Volunteer Program including budget: planning, tracking, and controlling expenses; KPI data: including numbers recruited, scheduled, retained, hours served, requests filled/unfilled, etc. This includes maintaining accurate records and providing timely statistical, activity, and other related or requested reports and upkeep of the volunteer management software, Volgistics.
• Responsible for effective communication and meaningful collaboration with all Thanksgiving Point departments in order to understand and fulfill volunteer requests including knowing the nature of those requests, logistics, required training, and other pertinent details to help volunteers be successful and appreciated.
• Responsible for developing and cultivating productive relationships with community/agency/business partners to build the Volunteer Program, its corps, and to broaden its activities while providing reciprocal benefits to those partner organizations.
• Responsible for other duties as assigned by the VP of Design and Programming.
• At least 5 years of experience working with volunteers and/or paid staff in a managerial role.
• Proven organizational skills, with strong ability to set priorities, manage multiple tasks, work independently, interact with the public and work collaboratively with diverse constituencies.
• Must have great people skills including active listening, empathy toward others, desire to see and help others succeed and grow, and ability to provide accountability and give critical feedback. Conflict management and/or leadership experience a plus.
• Must be able to communicate effectively orally and in writing with individuals and with groups.
• Proven ability to lead and be part of a collaborative team.
• Ability to lift and move 25 pounds, climb stairs, work in noisy surroundings, outdoors, around animals, plants, dust, and other environmental elements.
• Skilled working knowledge of the Microsoft Office Suite of applications and ability to translate data into meaningful reports, sets, and summaries.
• Valid Driver’s license is required (Utah License will be necessary to be covered by insurance).
• Must pass a background check as there is regular interaction with our young guests and with others’ personal information.
This is a full-time benefited position with hours of work generally from 8:00 – 5:00 Monday through Friday. This person will work on some weekends, evenings, and holidays in order to support and participate in events and programs requiring volunteer service and for other considerations.
Valid Driver’s license is required (Utah License will be necessary to be covered by insurance).
Must pass a background check as there is a lot of interaction with our young guests and with others’ personal information.
How to Apply: https://thanksgivingpoint.applicantpro.com/jobs/1044783.html
Visit organizational website.
Job Post Link: Visit additional job posting information.