W@W is pleased to announce its Young Adult Fiction contest.
We are looking for the best, most exciting, and interesting YA, be it mystery or sci-fi, fantasy, contemporary, or other genres. We’re looking to celebrate good writing that exemplifies the genre.
Prize: $300 and publication on the Writers @ Work website
Submission: Submit a double-spaced, unpublished short story or novel excerpt (must read as a complete story on its own) up to 5,000 words or 20 pages (whichever comes first). Please indicate the word count of your submission on the first page. Submissions should be in a standard font size. Submit only one work per entry. Your submission must have all identifying information removed; this includes the submission file name.
• Your submission must have all identifying information removed, including the submission file name. If your name appears on the submission, your entry will be disqualified. There will be no refunds.
• Submit unpublished work only: Work appearing in online journals is considered published. Work on personal websites or blogs is considered unpublished. Please do not submit selections from a self-published book.
• You may enter multiple submissions. The non-refundable entrance fee is required for each entry.
• Please submit your work through our online submissions manager. The submissions manager keeps a record of your name, contact information, and submitted texts. This information is kept blind from the readers and judges.
• Paper or emailed submissions are not allowed.
• Simultaneous submissions are fine. If your work is accepted elsewhere for publication before the contest deadline, please withdraw your manuscript in Submittable.
Note: The entrance fee is non-refundable.
• Board members are prohibited from submitting manuscripts during their tenure on the board.
• Current and former students of the judges are ineligible to submit.
$10 per entry.
Submissions open September 1, 2016 and close midnight MST October 15, 2016.
All readings are done blind, and judging is done by the Writers@Work board members.
Submit your submission here.