COVID-19 UPDATE: Please check with individual organizations and venues for specific requirements regarding health precautions.
By the 1890’s, Salt Lake City’s small Black population had gained sufficient numbers to encourage the formation and support of independent institutions that provided African-Americans with the opportunity to give greater meaning to their lives. In addressing their spiritual needs, a group of Blacks who identified themselves as the Baptist Prayer Band, met and held worship services in their homes. In June of 1896, Rev A. E. Reynolds announced in the “Broad Ax” ( a Black newspaper) that a building located in the rear of a white church was available as a place of worship for Black Baptists. In January of 1898, Rev D. Jones arrived in Salt Lake City from Topeka, Kansas to pastor Calvary Missionary Baptist Church. He was replaced in 1901 by Rev J.W. Washington, an energetic person whose leadership was instrumental in the church’s growth during his tenure. On Sunday, Jun 29th, 1902, the pastor and members of the congregation gave an afternoon and evening reception at their new chapel located at 472 East Second South. In 1911, the Eastside Baptist Church site was purchased by the Calvary congregation from Emmanuel Baptist Church. The first services were held on February 5th at 679 East Third South locations. Rev. Allen Newman pastored the church from 1913 to 1915.
In 1921, under the leadership of Rev. George Hart, the Calvary Church was incorporated by the State of Utah. Between 1924 and 1954, Calvary had eight pastors. In 1951, the Articles of Incorporation were revised and approve