COVID-19 UPDATE: Please check with individual organizations and venues for specific requirements regarding health precautions.
In 2005, Cottonwood Heights took its first steps as an incorporated city. Today, our community stands tall as an example of civic pride and fiscal responsibility.
The tale of Cottonwood Heights began in the early days after Mormon pioneers came to the area to sow their crops and live their lives. Famous families like the Butlers and McGees arrived in this area to homestead and provide lumber for the growing population in Salt Lake. By the 1860’s logs were being brought out of the canyon for homebuilders and the railroad, while granite blocks were chiseled out of Little Cottonwood Canyon to supply stone for the Salt Lake LDS Temple. Conversely shipments were also going up the canyon bringing food and supplies to workers and their families living in the growing towns of Alta and Mineral Basin.
The original settlement was called Butlerville, named after one of the prominent families who settled the area.