COVID-19 UPDATE: Please check with individual organizations and venues for specific requirements regarding health precautions.

    

There are no recent bookmarks.

Snow College Great Basin Station

Snow College Great Basin Station

Settlers of the surrounding valleys found that the pristine conditions of the Wasatch Plateau, with thick and tall vegetation, provided “perfect” grazing land for sheep. By 1900 it was estimated that there were between 800,000 and 1,000,000 sheep on the mountain. However, with grazing came unforeseen problems. The sheep ate everything that was green.  Sanpete residents could count the herds of sheep on the mountain by the dust clouds they could see from the valley. The connection between over grazing and flooding was not known at the time, and in 1889 the first severe flooding hit the valley communities below the Wasatch Plateau. Flooding became a perpetual problem with farms, fields, irrigation systems, roads, power lines, and railroads washed out or covered with mud, trees, and large boulders. The citizens petitioned for assistance, and in response to requests from local and state officials, the Federal government established the Utah Experiment Station in 1911. The Station, which later became known as the Great Basin Experiment Station, was created as a research facility to find the causes of, and remedy to, the catastrophic floods. The problems of flooding were successfully resolved and for the following 60 years the Station was integral in watershed and rangeland research.

During the first few summers, the station consisted of nothing more than a collection of tents. Construction started in 1912 on the Director’s residence, office & laboratory (Museum), Assistant

View more

Contact information

    Email
/
    Website
/