Call for Artists
Ogden, UT, 84401
Now in its 27th year, the Ogden Nature Center announces the 2020 Birdhouse Competition and Exhibit. Get out your building tools, supplies and creativity and start building birdhouses. Entries are due March 16-21 at the Ogden Nature Center, 966 W. 12th St., Ogden. There is no entry fee.
Entries will be divided by the following categories:
• Best Use of Recycled Materials
• Functional/Best for Birds
• Well Built
And they will be divided by the following age categories:
• Children ages 12 & under (assisted and unassisted)
• Young adults ages 13-17
• Group project all ages
• Adults ages 18+
A select jury of professional artists and bird experts will judge the competition and choose winners and those selected for the exhibit will be installed and displayed April 8 through June 27. Winners will receive cash prizes at an awards presentation on Wednesday, April 8 at 5:30 pm in the L.S. Peery Education Center at the Ogden Nature Center.
Registration forms and full details are also available online at www.ogdennaturecenter.org or fill out an entry form at the visitor services desk at the Ogden Nature Center, 966 W. 12th Street, Ogden, UT 84404. For more information, please call the Ogden Nature Center at 801-621-7595.
All types of birdhouses are welcome: whimsical, beautiful, practical, functional, artistic or magical – but they all need to be STURDY! All ages are welcome to enter up to two creations. Working as a family or as a team, i.e., grandfather/grandson, etc., is acceptable and encouraged! A helpful guide of dimension preferences for certain bird species can be found on the Nature Center’s website at http://www.ogdennaturecenter.org/images/BIRDHOUSE_SIZE_REQUIREMENTS.pdf
• All birdhouses must be original works created by the exhibitor. Commercially produced birdhouses or assembled kits will not be accepted.
• Please do not use hot glue. It does not hold up outside.
• Size limitations: The base of the birdhouse may not exceed 24″ square. The height of the actual birdhouse (not including the post) may not exceed 36″ tall.
• All birdhouses must be freestanding on their own post and ready for installation outdoors. Birdhouses that are not freestanding will not be accepted for the exhibit. You must perch your birdhouse atop a sturdy post or attach a strong hanger. Posts will be installed at a depth of 1-2 feet, so plan for that extra footage that gets buried in the ground.
• The Nature Center encourages the use of natural, reclaimed and recycled materials. Please consider the environment when choosing your materials and finishes. Please, no propane tanks this year.
• Please build sturdy birdhouses. Birdhouses need to last through all seasons outdoors. Birdhouses that are not sturdy, may not be exhibited.
• The judges will select which birdhouses are accepted. Due to space constraints, a limited number of entries will be accepted for the exhibit.
• The Ogden Nature Center reserves the right to refuse submissions.
This year’s Birdhouse Competition/Exhibit is sponsored by: Jack and Jodi Livingood, Jeremiah’s Restaurant, Ogden Blue, Wasatch Audubon Society, Wild About Birds Nature Center, Shepherd’s Bush, Prairie Schooner, Booth Dental, Bloom Recyclers, the Standard Examiner, Pat & Glen Richter, and the Robin & Brad Farr Family.