With a special focus on engaging the youngest Utahns, as well as the young at heart, Capitol Discovery Day provides an opportunity for all Utahans to familiarize themselves with the intricate architecture and symbols spread throughout the 100-year-old “People’s House.”
Hands-on activities will include:
- Geodesic Dome Construction: Learn about construction by building small geometrical, 3-D domes with toothpicks and gumdrops.
- County Rubbings & Capitol Artwork Coloring Pages: Make art rubbings on bronze county medallions with crayons and white butcher paper, or color in Capitol Rotunda artwork coloring pages.
- Copper Toolings: Press Utah symbols like the beehive and the sego lily into copper sheets using a wooden tool.
- Symmetrical Designs & Floor Mosaics: Glue hexagon and square paper pieces onto larger sheets of paper to create patterns that are found in the historic Capitol floors.
- Capitol Discovery Quest: Follow the tour pathway through the building while also searching for symbols, architectural features, and details of Capitol artworks.
- Base Isolator Seismic Shake Table: Build a block Capitol and watch how the base isolation system protects the building from violent earthquake shaking.
Capitol docents will also be stationed throughout the building to assist with the Discovery Quest and give short, informative, and engaging presentations on each Chamber or room.