P.O. Box 9358, Salt Lake City, UT 84109
JazzSLC is a non-profit, concert series funded and produced by the GAM Foundation, an organization established in 1994 to increase the awareness, appreciation, and popularity of jazz in our community
The GAM Foundation was established in 1994 by Gordon Hanks and Michael T. Mackay, to increase the awareness, appreciation, and popularity of jazz, America’s music in our community.
JazzSLC is a non-profit, concert series funded and produced by the GAM Foundation. What began as a “let’s try producing one concert and see what happens,” has developed into a unique, nationally recognized not-for-profit jazz concert series. In the twenty-one years since the series’ inception. JazzSLC has featured world-class jazz musicians and proven the popularity of jazz in Salt Lake City. Our series began as Jazz at the Sheraton, filling only 200 seats and serving only 3 local high schools, JazzSLC has now blossomed into a series at the historic Capitol Theatre, offering discounted tickets for all students across the Wasatch Front.� The GAM Foundation is still and has always been a volunteer-staffed organization with founder, Gordon Hanks and Executive Director, Amanda Lufkin serving as the only staff in the day-to-day operations, completely voluntary.
During the twenty-one-year concert series, the GAM Foundation has produced over 200 concerts featuring over 500 of the world’s finest jazz artists. The GAM Foundation has made it our mission to advocate for jazz education. We work with music departments of Middle Schools, High Schools, and Universities participating in GAM’s jazz education outreach program, offering discounted tickets to all students wishing to attend our concerts. The GAM Foundation has also sponsored a benefit concert raising funds for scholarships for the University of Utah Music Department’s Jazz Studies Program. Produced concerts featuring some of Salt Lake City’s own fine jazz artists. Presented the Governor’s “Awards of Appreciation” to Dave & Iola Brubeck and to George Shearing. In recognition of their contribution to Jazz and the community the GAM Foundation has received:
– University of Utah’s “Excellence in Music” award
– KUER’s “Voice of Jazz” award
– Gordon Hanks was honored by the League of Women Voters 2010
– City Weekly honored Gordon Hanks as on of Utah’s Alternative Pioneers in 2009.
– Salt Lake Tribune honored Gordon Hanks as one of the 25 most influential Utahns in arts and entertainment.
– Valley High School’s “Continuing Support of the Arts” award
– Utah Music Educator’s Association “Outstanding Service to Music Education” award
-Governor’s “Special Award” in the arts
– Listed as one of the top ten attractions in the Salt Lake Tribune’s annual “What’s Great About Salt Lake.”
– In 2002-2003, Salt Lake Magazine listed us as the best jazz series in Utah.
– In 2004, City Weekly awarded us with their Slammy Award for the Best Continuing Jazz Series.
Thanks to the gracious support of concertgoers, the GAM Foundation will continue to bring great live jazz to the Salt Lake area and further its endeavors in enriching the artistic tapestry of the community.