COVID-19 UPDATE: Please check with individual organizations and venues for specific requirements regarding health precautions.
The house known as the Eccles Community Art Center was built in 1893 for James Clarence Armstrong, an Ogden businessman. In 1896, the house was purchased by David and Bertha Eccles. At their invitation, groups such as the Girl Scouts, Children’s Aid Society, Drama Club, Child Culture, Martha Society, Daughters of the Utah Pioneers and Red Cross all held meetings in the house. In her later years, Bertha Eccles made it known to her family that she would like the building kept intact and used for the purpose of education and cultural development of the community. Bertha Eccles’ wish for her home was granted when her family gave the house to Weber State University in 1948. The house became “Bertha Eccles Hall”, a women’s dormitory and social center. When Weber State moved its campus, the house and other buildings of the downtown campus reverted to the ownership of the LDS Church. In 1953, the Ogden Community Arts Council became interested in providing a center for the arts in this community. Knowing that their goal was most compatible with the wishes of Bertha Eccles, the Ogden Arts Council approached the LDS Church, requesting the house for use as a community art center. A deed to the Eccles home was given to the Council, in 1959. The name given to the facility was Bertha Eccles Community Art Center. In 1976 the name of both the facility and the non-profit organization that supports it was changed t
2580 Jefferson Avenue, Ogden, UT 84401
ALBUQUERQUE LITTLE THEATRE
The Eccles Art Center’s Historic home’s Main Gallery is accessible as are the auxiliary buildings. Unfortunately due to the historic home registration on the National Registry it does not have an elevator, and its ballroom, Second Floor and Third Floor Galleries are accessible only through using the stairs.
The Eccles Art Center’s has street parking and a parking lot which may be entered on Orchard Avenue, which is a half block north of the center’s historic home. Parking lot is closed from 10 p.m. to 8 a.m.
Regular gallery hours: weekdays 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Closed Sunday and Major Holidays.
Admission to the Eccles Art Center’s galleries is complimentary
The Eccles Art Center’s Main Gallery is available for rental for small weddings and recitals, for information, please contact EAC staff at 801-392-6935