Clever Octopus (COI) Creative Reuse Center (CRC) promotes creativity and community engagement through upcycling and art education. The Digital Communications Specialist reports to the Executive Director and will work collaboratively with the COI Team: Executive Director, Program Director, Store Manager, Warehouse Manager, VISTA Program Coordinator, VISTA Community Engagement Coordinator, VISTA Development Coordinator, and VISTA Communications Coordinator to design, create, draft, and deliver print and online marketing materials to support the growth — both short and long term — and objectives of Clever Octopus.
The Digital Communications Specialist oversees our online brand and messaging! Under the direction of the Executive Director, you will be responsible for all online communications, including: social media, regular newsletters, maintaining our website, coordinating press, key marketing campaigns and ads, and most importantly, sharing our mission!
We’re growing rapidly and need administrative, operational, and strategic assistance. We’re a small team and everyone contributes beyond their core responsibilities. Teamwork and initiative are a must! Because of the start-up nature of our work, things move quickly, and you’ll have real ownership to define and refine procedures. We are excited for someone to be creative in this role and grow with us.
You will be conducting research, collecting data, testing strategies, creating content, overseeing advertisements and marketing relationships, strategy, and marketing budget.
Digital Communications Specialist will receive the information and create social media campaigns revolving around this. Marketing will analyze how effective it is and provide interventions.
A) Social Media
- Collaborate with the COI Team to create daily, effective, and engaging posts that are tailored to each of the COI channels. Current channels include: Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Yelp, and Google.
- Oversee Google ad words, Google Search console, analytics, Google Business.
- Execute cohesive campaigns — voice and design — across Email (Mailchimp), Web (Squarespace), Mobile, Targeted Digital (Facebook & Instagram), and POS system (Square).
- Work with Communications Coordinator to develop a monthly social calendar and concepts, as well as grid plan.
- Generate or design photos and content, including post-editing in Canva.
- Organize and catalog photos and content on Flickr.
- Write engaging on-brand copy/captions.
- Manage our themed Instagram Stories from start to finish.
- Manage community throughout all channels (comments, DMs, tags, daily engagement).
- Identify social opportunities and brand alignment to further grow accounts.
- Stay up to date with current technologies and trends in social media, design tools, and apps.
- Cultivating an active online community and growing our audience – working with Team to determine goals for growth and refining our voice. Iterative and adaptive strategies to understand what our community wants to see and how best to share our updates, events, data, and mission.
- Track metrics of social media performance, including: followers, engagement, audience demographics, etc. and use this data to create, refine, and improve our social media strategy, presence, and upholding our anti-racist work.
- Collaborate with the COI team to determine updates and highlights to share via newsletters each month. Contribute photos and messages to the Communications Coordinator and Community Engagement Coordinator needed.
- Support COI team with designing attractive layouts with clear, meaningful messages paired with strong visuals.
- Check all links, dates, and details for accuracy. Track performance metrics and use this data to improve our audience engagement to make newsletters as effective as possible.
- Find opportunities to increase newsletter sign-ups and sub-divide our newsletter list for targeted campaigns to make sure our community sees what interests them most.
C) Website Updates
- Regular website updates to share the most current information. Includes: editing pages as procedures change or new services are introduced, updating graphics so the site is fresh and current, updating forms as needed for applications, updating announcements and events.
- Monthly update to our data page to share our metrics and impact of our work.
- Finding ways to optimize our site, search results, and analytics.
D) Developing our Digital Communications Brand and Strategy
- Collaborate with the COI Team to create a content calendar and plan for each year, month, and week.
- Use consistent imagery and language across platforms to build a voice, look, and feel for COI online.
- Present and attempt new or innovative social media campaigns. Creativity and imagination here are a plus!
- Research potential collaborators/influencers and develop beneficial partnerships.
- Grow our audience and traffic on social, newsletter, and online. Create connections to new groups through an understanding of what part of our organization brings the most value to them.
- Collaborate with Communications Coordinator to manage current or create new digital traditions.
E) Marketing and Press
- Work with Communications Coordinator to create or select imagery for key marketing campaigns or announcements
- Work with COI Team to coordinate any press inquiries and logistics
- Work marketing campaigns or press moments into the content calendar
- Find creative ways to drive traffic to our online store or sell products through our channels (examples: Instagram flash sales, or Facebook live auctions, etc.) This could include incentives for our followers, or deals offered to influencers for their followers.
- Bringing in donations and fundraising, particularly our end-of-year giving campaigns.
- A successful Digital Communications Specialist will make sure every follower/fan/reader/visitor understands the details of our mission, our impact, our system, our locations, our events, our partners, our volunteer program, and how to access fabric. Everyone should feel important for their contribution to our industry-changing work, so much so that they feel informed and empowered to share their experience with others!
- Collaborating with all members of the Clever Octopus Team (Executive Director, Program Director, Shop Manager, Warehouse Manager, Program Coordinator, Community Engagement Coordinator, Development Coordinator, and Communications Coordinator) to create a safe, supportive, and productive workplace. Including a commitment to direct and genuine conflict resolution and an open and honest contribution to COI’s developing diversity, equity, and inclusion work.
- Bachelor’s (or Bachelor of Fine Arts) degree in Design, Marketing, Art, Multimedia, Graphic Communications, or related field(s) preferred or equivalent years of working experience.
- A portfolio (online or pdf) reflecting the ability to prepare marketing materials or blog posts for a variety of projects recommended.
- In-depth knowledge of layout, typography, and design elements and the ability to follow current design trends.
- Proficient with Adobe Creative Suite, Canva, and Google Suite.
Send your resume and cover letter at firstname.lastname@example.org