COVID-19 UPDATE: Please check with individual organizations and venues for specific requirements regarding health precautions.
Salary: 24,960 per year
Job Description: Under the direct supervision of the Outreach Education Senior Manager, the Outreach Science Program Educator will present their assigned Discovery Gateway science outreach program in schools throughout the state of Utah during the current school year, and may present the Discovery Gateway Teacher Professional Development Program according to the iSEE schedule. Outreach Science Program Educators will be required to travel across the state of Utah. In addition, Outreach Science Program Educators will also be required to participate in science related programming events and activities to include but not limited to Open House for Public Officials, Museum Day at the Capital, annual UEA conventions, Children’s Festival, and Bumblebee Bash.
• Program Preparation: Prepare assembly equipment and assemble hands-on kits for presentations in advance. Monitor supplies and materials ensuring enough supplies and materials to adequately present the program. Alert the Outreach Coordinator or Senior Manager to low supplies in a timely manner.
• Present Outreach Program: Present fun and engaging science outreach programs at elementary schools throughout the state of Utah, generally two each day when possible.
• Travel with Program: Travel varying distances to each school and take several 2– 5 day trips throughout September, October, March, and April.
• Maintain current and accurate records: This includes mileage reimbursement and reconciliation of receipts associated with the Discovery Gateway assigned credit card, teacher surveys, student evaluations, etc. Submit all forms and receipts in accordance with Discovery Gateway Policies and Procedures.
• Travel: Abide by all traffic laws, including adhering to the speed limit, safe driving practices, and not texting or using a cell-phone while operating a motor vehicle. Proof of Insurance and clean driving record required. Note that all moving violations are the responsibility of the driver.
• Attend Compulsory Meetings & Training Sessions: This includes Outreach Science Program Staff Meetings, Discovery Gateway All-Staff meetings, and Morning Operation meetings when on-site.
• Equipment Maintenance: Maintain equipment and inform Outreach Coordinator or Senior Manager of vehicle maintenance needs. Equipment will be checked out upon employment; Outreach Science Program Educators will assume all financial responsibility for replacement of lost or broken equipment beyond normal wear-and-tear including cleaning costs.
• Email must be checked at a minimum both at the beginning of the day and at the end of the day for internal communications, updates and schedule adjustments.
• Attend professional development workshop, training, or seminars relevant to science programming as assigned by Outreach Education Senior Manager.
• Attend all Discovery Gateway “All Staff” meetings (generally the first Wednesday evening of each month) and department meetings.
• College degree preferred with core study in either education or a science related field, with at least 60 hours of college level study verified by college transcripts.
• Teaching experience and exceptional presentation skills required.
• Must be good with elementary aged children and have basic classroom management skills.
• Must be responsible, self-motivated, and capable of performing assigned tasks without direct supervision.
• Must be organized and able to effectively multi-task.
• Must have excellent verbal/written communication and interpersonal skills and be able to represent Discovery Gateway in a professional, positive, and amiable way.
• Must have reliable transportation and be willing to use it for work related travel (Mileage compensation will be provided; food and lodging paid for by Discovery Gateway). Proof of current automobile insurance and a valid driver’s license will be required. Driving record must be free of tickets, and other violations.
• Must be physically capable of safely driving vehicles long distances (more than one hour) as well as short distances
Location: Salt lake city
Status: Full time