The cabin is open upon request.
The Knudsen cabin, built by Porter Squires for Wilhelm and Laura Amelia Knudsen in 1855, was one of the first permanent structures in Brigham City. Located on the corner of First East and First South, the original cabin was 14' x 18'. It had a loft running the full length of the inside walls and was entered by means of a small, square, outside door just below the gable. Six of their thirteen children were born in the cabin during the years from 1856 to 1865.
The cabin was moved to its present location in Brigham Young Park on May 26, 2000. As their Centennial Project, the Box Elder South Company of the Daughters of Utah Pioneers chose to completely restore the cabin. Rotting logs were removed and replaced with new logs, the chinking was replaced inside and out, a wooden plank floor was installed, a chimney was built, and a working fireplace was finished. Rocks were brought to cover the foundation, and the landscaping efforts included planting trees and flowers. Hours of labor have been expended in restoring this cabin to its present condition. The dedication was held on June 1, 2001.
2014/03/22 - 2015/12/31
Additional time info:
The cabin is open by appointment.
Please contact Maryann Jensen at 435-734-9272.